Includes free T shirt, and booklet
Class size: 8-16 students
What is the Reel Camp all about?
The Reel Camp is a film camp for kids ages 7-14. They will learn what it takes to create, shoot, edit, direct, and act in their films. A lot goes into creating film & video! Kids will get to put in a lot of effort, but at the heart of this week they will be working with others to create something fun!
The film camp will teach kids to create finished movies which will available via YouTube. We are working on a place for a screening!
What will creators be doing?
Here are a few of our role descriptions, no one is limited to one job—everyone can try everything!
There is something for everyone at the Reel Film Camp! We aim to provide the opportunity for your child to learn a skill that interested them. Everyone learns something new to try, regardless of experience!
- Writer: Creative with words and likes making up stories.
- Director: A good communicator with an eye for detail.
- Producer/Assistant Director: Someone who is organized and can keep things on track.
- Camera Operator: Someone who loves filming things and would be comfortable with an iPad or video camera.
- Art Department: Someone who loves art projects and likes to create.
- Acting: If you can’t resist performing, this is for you
- Editor: putting those all important clips together for a final product!
What about Daily Activities?
Here is a partial list:
- Creative Writing
- Scene watching (watching age appropriate films to understand how it all fits together)
- Filming techniques
- Camera technique
- Basic lighting
- Making props, set decorating & wardrobe
- Sound recording
What should we bring?
- Lunch and snacks (we will have some ‘craft services’ available, please let us know any dietary restrictions)
- Comfortable clothing
- Costumes (please don’t buy anything. Kids will be encouraged to make, bring or borrow. Costumes will be decided on Day 2)
- Please talk with your child about respecting equipment. We will be using some really cool stuff, and some of it is expensive.
- Equipment is to be treated with respect and care.
- Children are not permitted to leave the building without adult supervision.
- Parents / Guardians must sign their child in/out every day.
- If your child has special needs, please contact us prior to registration.
- This camp is a safe space for everyone. Violence or harassment of any kind will not be tolerated. Parents will be always be notified immediately and the child may not be able to return to camp, and no refund will be offered.
Shelly has worked on both sides of the camera for her whole ‘adult’ life. A kid at heart, she loves combining things she is passionate about. A place where kids can create and make the movies they envision is a dream come true for her! And she makes a mean cupcake…
Shelly grew up in AZ and graduated Summa Cum Laude from ASU in broadcast journalism with a theatre minor. She started working in local film production as a production assistant and worked her way up to line producing commercials, industrials and films. Along the way, she has acted in multiple local & national commercials, TV shows, and films which included clients like AAA, Discovery ID & Sonic.
During the school year, Shelly is also a teaching artist and actor with Childsplay. Childsplay is a professional theatre that brings the arts to young audiences and families around Arizona and across the United States.
Saving the best for last, Shelly is a mom to three great kids and has always loved sharing her passions with them. Shelly’s proudest moments come from her fabulous offspring, whose inspiration got her started down the path of The Reel Camp. Starting The Reel Camp gives her the opportunity the share with others. Shelly would love to make a movie with you!